Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Scenes from a car

Here are just a few of the things I've witnessed while driving in my car this past week ... I think I spend too much time driving.

1) On Saturday, I drove to the party store to pick up balloons for Boogie's 4th birthday party (we had a great party. I can't believe she's 4 already ... although at times, I can't believe she's ONLY four.) Once I got off the ramp of the freeway, I had to make my way across four lanes of traffic so I could make a left turn at the second light after the ramp. Not a lot of time to make this maneuver, let me tell you. I got stuck at the first light and was in the third lane over. When we started going, I turned on my turn signal to let the drivers behind me know that I was merging over. The first car was a little close so I let him go. I knew that the driver of the truck behind him clearly saw my signal. And since we were only going about 10 miles an hour after the light had turned green, I knew I wouldn't be cutting him off. But nevertheless, I saw him start to speed up, so as not to let me in. But since I still had a bit of room, I made my way over. As I turned into the left-turn lane, he passed me, gunning his engine, and flipping me off out the window. Seriously? Are you so angry that you have thick fingers the size of sausages (the kielbasa kind, not the little Farmer John kind) that you have to flip off an innocent lady? Sad ... very sad.

2) I had just dropped off Boogie at preschool and was in the left turn lane (what is it with me and left turn lanes?). The cars in front of me made the light, with the last one clearly running a yellow, no wait, make that red light. From out of nowhere a cop with flashing lights passed me on the right to turn left to go after the guy (although, he could have just turned them on to make the light ... who knows?) Standing on the corner was a group of people: the crossing, guard, a few kids, and a mom who was walking her kids to school. "HAAAAHAAAAHAAAA," I hear out my window and see the mom, dressed in her baggy black T-Shirt and surprisingly baggy workout shorts on such a big woman, laughing much louder than is necessary at 7:30 in the morning. She's pointing in the direction of the guy who ran the red light. "IT'S ABOUT TIME. THERE'S NEVER A COP WHEN YOU NEED ONE, BUT NOT TODAY!" she shouted. While I may have thought the same thing, I didn't feel the need to shout it from the rooftops. But it didn't end there. She started laughing some more, nudging the crossing guard with her elbow and pointing in the guy's direction. The crossing guard politely nodded as if to say, "yes, I know, I saw, now let's get going." As they crossed the street in front of me, one of the mom's children looked back in that direction and started laughing again. The mom reached the other sidewalk and swung around so that her long, stringy, bleached-blond with dark roots hair sailed around behind her. And she proceeded to point and laugh again in an exaggerated way. It must be sad to think that a little incident like that is such an amusement to her. Kind of like the woman I used to work with who laughed at everything. Not even remotely funny things. EVERYTHING! Whenever she said anything she'd laugh. Not a nervous laugh, but a long, deep-throated gaffaw everytime. But I digress.

3) I was driving to lunch yesterday and was at a light (NOT in the turn lane) next to a large Yukon. I wasn't exactly parallel with the car so I couldn't see the driver's face, but I could see her hands. More specifically the gloves on her hands. While it would be weird to be wearing gloves in May in California anyway (sorry, Em), these weren't typical winter gloves. Nor were they leather driving gloves. They were the rubber gloves used in doctor's offices. In an eggshell blue. Maybe she's a hand model and has to keep her hands protected ... but wouldn't the powder inside those gloves be rather drying? Maybe she's a germaphobe. But it was her car ... wouldn't she have scoured that car inside and out? My husband often plays basketball with a guy who wears rubber gloves when he plays so he has a better grip on the ball. But do you really need that kind of grip driving a car? What kind of daredevil stunts are you doing?

Anyway, as you can see, I've had a pretty eventful week of people watching. I'm sure I'll have other random observations soon.

7 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Blogger undercover celebrity said...

Thanks for the nod. Actually, I was driving Mark's car the other day (he was in the passenger's seat and reached into the side pocket and pulled out a wad of knitted material -- specifically my gloves.
"What are these?"
"My gloves."
"Why do you need gloves in May?!!"
"Go ahead, mock me, but next time you're shivering and I'm all toasty, we'll see who's laughing."


In other news, the latex-glove-wearing-lady freaks me out. Hopefullys he's not a healthcare professional of some kind who just forgot to take off her gloves when she left the office. Ew.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

Gaffaw. Cackle. Whatever you call it, I still have the pleasure of hearing it every ten seconds. And let's not forget the voice that accompanies said laughter. Almost as annoying, but far more frequent. In fact, she has a friend now in the cube across from her and next to me, who she talks to ALL. DAY. LONG. Giving sage advice about anything and everything, telling him how things should be done here at ______ (like when she was at ____), introducing him to everyone as if she is his mentor. It's driving me mad!

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Newlywife said...

That last "glove" scene reminds me of the lady with the bread in the car...it forces you to think up a reason why she was wearing gloves. Hmmmm, interesting.

Perhaps she was preparing food with the bread lady, who may have had that much bread because she owned a restaurant...or one of those street food carts.

I agree with UC, it freaks me out too.

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous gorillabuns said...

maybe the glove wearing woman has horrible burns/scars on her hands and has to wear gloves to protect and hide them.

 
At 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a little disturbed by your first observation. Does anger make one's fingers thicker?

– Texas T-bone

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Just thought I would say hello today! Hope the job is going well and the kids are fabulous! Summer is almost here!

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Kerry said...

As for #3 the blue glove wearer, it could be that she is wearing the gloves for protection of her hands for medical reasons or otherwise.

Not seeing the particular glove though, I am guessing that they are a powderless type so there is no powder in them at all. Commonly there are many types varying from just powderless to nitrile(a glove used for latex allergies and other reasons).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home