Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Does anybody listen anymore?

Today at work, I had to purchase a gift card for one of our clients. I had looked at the American Express Traveler's Cheque card, but the minimum denomination was $300. I decided to check out the Visa TravelMoney card, but after searching the entire Visa web site, I couldn't find anything on a minimum order. I decided to call their customer service center for help.

VISA Rep #1: Hello, this is Visa, can I have your card number?

ME: I don’t have a card number. I’m looking for information about your Visa TravelMoney card.

VISA Rep #1:You don’t have a card number?

ME:No, I am just looking for information about your Visa TravelMoney card.

VISA Rep #1:Are you traveling right now?

ME:Pardon?

VISA Rep #1:Are you traveling right now?

ME:No, I wanted to purchase the card for someone who is attending an event, so they don’t have to use traveler’s checks.

VISA Rep #1:So you want to purchase a card?

ME:Yes, but I wanted to find out if there is a minimum denomination to purchase the card.

VISA Rep #1:Oh. Do you have the card number?

MEUmm, no, I don’t have the card yet.

VISA Rep #1:Oh, well let me transfer you to our special services department.

When he transfers me, I'm connected to a recording that asks me to press numbers for security issues. When I don't press any numbers, it puts me through to the hold music, which is interrupted by a voice asking me to please have my report number handy for the next representative.)

VISA Rep #2:Hello, can I have your report number?

ME:I think I may have the wrong area. I was just transferred here by the main Visa customer service area. I’m looking for information on your TravelMoney card.

VISA Rep #2:Oh, what is your card number?

ME:I don’t have the card yet, I’m looking to purchase it.

VISA Rep #2:Oh, what phone number did they give you to call here?

ME:They didn’t give me a number. They just transferred me here.

VISA Rep #2:Oh, let me find someone who can help you.

I was then placed on hold for 10 minutes before the guy came back to apologize for the wait before he put me back on hold for another five.

VISA Rep #3:Hello, how can I help you?

ME:Yes, I had a question on your TravelMoney card.

VISA Rep #3:Yes?

ME:I just needed to know if you had a minimum amount that you need to purchase the card.

VISA Rep #3:That is a good question.

ME: (Thinking in my head ... that IS a good question).

(He proceeds to read directly from a brochure about the Travel Money card, and all of its features and benefits.)

VISA Rep #3:It doesn’t say anything about the minimum amount. Let me go to our Internet web site.

ME: Never mind, I was already on there. I'll just go to one of the locations that sell the card and ask. I was just hoping to save some time by calling.

VISA Rep #3: Well, if there is anything else we can help you with, we're here 24 hours for you.

ME: (Thinking to myself ... yeah, because you guys have been such a big help already.)

7 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Blogger undercover celebrity said...

bad customer service just ruins my day

clearly those Visa folks need an ewire system :)

 
At 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think most company's idea of "customer service" is seeing how many different people they can make you talk to during a single call. I do have an exception; as a "preferred" cardholder with Texaco/Shell, I have a supersecret number to call with really nice, helpful people. It has been pleasant and quick every time. With gas prices as high as they are, I'd better get some good help!

– Texas T-bone

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Ugh, what a joke. I hate having to punch in my account number on some automated phone system only to have the representative then ask me for it all over again when they get on the line! UGH!

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger lainey said...

How frustrating!

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger SincereCaramel said...

"bad customer service just ruins my day"

I couldn't agree more. It is a bit more disturbing when you realize that the automated machine is more helpful.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Antonio said...

LOL, at least you got to talk to someone. :-)

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Newlywife said...

Clearly they have to be open for 24 hours because with that kind of wait time, nine to five issn't going to cut it...

Sometimes I feel like my head is going to explode when they keep transferring you like that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home