Sunday, April 30, 2006

So I guess I'm going to law school!

As many of my small readership know, I took the LSAT last December. It came from a discussion that my husband and I had had a few months before. He asked me if I could do any job, what would it be. My first thought was ... a lawyer.

So I decided to take the LSAT to at least see if I'd do well enough to apply and get accepted to a law school. I scored in the top 35% (not great, but good enough to apply to the law school near my home). I knew I'd never move away from home to take on this endeavor, so I only applied to this one school.

While I waited to find out if I was accepted, I pondered whether this was something that I should do. I'm already insanely busy with a full-time job and two small children at home. How could I take classes three nights a week for the next four years? I also knew it was an expensive plan, with the yearly tuition at around $18,000. I had applied for financial aid, so I just kept telling myself that when I found out how much aid I'd get, then I'd make my decision on whether to actually move forward.

So last week, I got my acceptance letter. It was nice to know I was accepted, even if it isn't Harvard. But then I read the second letter. They've given me a scholarship. And not just any scholarship. I got the dean's scholarship award, the most prestigious scholarship that the school gives out. The scholarship that will pay for my first year's tuition in full! The one that will be given to me again for the second year if I can score in the top 20% of my class after the first year! How awesome is that?

So it made my decision a bit easier. How can I pass up a free year (well, I will have to pay for books, but comparatively speaking, it's free). Yes, it will be hard. But I'm up for the challenge. I feel so rejuvenated, so excited for the coming year. I think after spending the past couple of years not being challenged mentally, I'm ready to move forward full force. Yes, my new job is great, and I'm learning a lot about design and layout that I never knew before. But I feel like I want a bit more.

So starting in August, I'll be sitting in a classroom with a bunch of young people who could be my kids (If I had them at 15). At least now I won't have to worry about trying to get the seat next to the cute boy, or figuring out where to go for nickel beer nights (yes, I AM that old!).

16 Comments:

At 7:15 AM, Blogger lainey said...

Congratulations!!! That is so amazing.....the acceptance and especially the scholarship.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Congratulations!! No doubt about it, that's the direction you are meant to go! I am so excited for you!

 
At 8:03 AM, Anonymous reluctant housewife said...

Congratulations - esp. on the scholarship! Wow!

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Jules said...

OMG. I got tears in my eyes because I'm so proud of you! I know I don't know you except through here, but I've been reading for awhile, and man. I just don't know what to say! That's so AWESOME! I'm so happy for you! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

carolyn! that's amazing! i am so excited for you, a major achievement. and what would life be like if we never challenged ourselves. so far as we know, this is the only go-round we get, congrats on really jumping in and making the most of it. wow, i am so impressed.

secret word: nmvzhto = "mazel tov"

and, thank you for your most-recent lovely comment.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Newlywife said...

Congratulations! I am so impressed! You are going to do great. I always noticed that the people who had been in teh work world for a few years were the ones that did really well because they were so focused...as I am sure you will be.

You are going to LOVE IT! How exciting...Congratulations!

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous jurgen nation said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! You can so do this. I'm so proud of you I could burst. You're going to kick ass!!!

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger McSwain said...

That is SO great! And take it from this lady who sits in a classroom with a bunch of "youngsters." It's great! Can't wait to hear about it.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Jess Riley said...

Way to go!!! That is fantastic news. I'm thrilled for you. :)

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger undercover celebrity said...

YOU ARE THE SMARTEST WOMAN IN THE WORLD!!!!

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous gorillabuns said...

Congratulations!!! now, go kick some 22 year olds ass with the curve you are going to set!

 
At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so exciting!

I thik you'll be surprised at how many "old" people will be in your class. The younger generation usually has to go find themselves between bachelors degrees and grad work. You'll probably make some new friends who might even remember the first time legwarmers were hip.

– Texas T-bone

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

congrats! Law school (and practicing) isn't as bad as everyone says. The people who go into it of the money end up miserable, but the people who went into it because they like law usually end up pretty happy.

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Sarcomical said...

WOW! now, you know from reading my blog that i'm totally jealous of you for starting something new right now without fear. what were you doing before?

did you have any previous experience/education in this field?

oh boy i'd love to take a chance like that and not fail miserably! ;)

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger rebcram said...

Wow - that is so awesome. Good for you!

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Cheri said...

Wow, that is such an amazing opportunity! Carolyn it must feel fantastic taking a risk and getting great results. I would just like to wish the best for you and the family because with new challenges comes great sacrifices. Stay true to your heart always and you will not be disappointed. Talk with you soon Carolyn… thanks for telling me about your blog link your writing is very refreshing. I am so glad we got in touch after all these years.
Peace & Luv - Cheri

 

Post a Comment

<< Home