Tuesday, February 08, 2005

She's Growing Up

Last night, I got a glimpse into my daughter's future. She stayed the night last night with her grandparents. My husband is sick, and I'm still under the weather from last week, so it seemed like a good idea. She was excited to go, and her "grammy" was excited to have her.

It was definitely quieter in the house without her. But when I passed by her empty room, with her bed still made up, it made me sad. I missed her. She's stayed the night at her grandparents before, but it was usually when my husband and I went out of town. Being at home without her seemed strange.

And I started thinking about when she gets older, and starts going to school, meeting new friends and having slumber parties at other friends' houses. Will I still feel that same sense of emptiness? Probably.

Today, when she gets home, I want her to know how much she was missed, how much she means to me, how I feel so lucky that she's my daughter. I want her to know all of these things before time passes and she's all grown up and leaving the house for good. Will I look back then and wish that I was still going through the temper tantrums of the terrible twos? I wonder.

2 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Blogger Rowan said...

It doesn't get any easier, trust me. I just had to send my teenager to live with his dad, because he's getting into too much trouble and doing poorly at school, and I'm hoping his dad might be able to straighten him out. (I seem to be having no luck at all.) But it just kills me every day at 4:00 when I expect him to walk in the door coming home from school, and he doesn't. I wrote more about this here if anyone's interested.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Jillian said...

It does get tougher, I have a son who is 21 and moved out 2 weeks after he graduation. IIt broke my heart. My youngest is still home, but the sence that something is missing is there. Even my youngest misses him, and he only lives 4 blocks away. But they will always be your babies. Last night my 21 year old called in tears over his girlfriend.....he will always need me, and I will always be there for him, as you will with your daughter...God bless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home